Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 1355, The St. Scholastica’s Day Riot occurs in Oxford, England.
- In 1567, Lord Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots is found strangled.
- In 1609 English Poet John Sucking is born.
- In 1783, Russian Painter Fyodor Petrovich Tolstoy is born.
- In 1829, Pope Leo XII dies.
- In 1840, Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert.
- In 1861, Jefferson Dais is notified via telegraph that he’s been chosen as provisional President of the Confederate States of America.
- In 1870, The YWCA is founded in New York City.
- In 1923, Texas Tech University is founded in Lubbock, Texas.
- In 1940, The Soviet Union begins deporting Polish citizens to Siberia.
- In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower warns against United States intervention in Vietnam.
- In 1957, American Author Laura Ingalls Wilder dies.
- In 1967, The 25th Amendment of the Constitution is ratified.
- In 1996, The IBM Super Computer Deep Blue defeats Garry Kasparov in chess for the first time.
- In 2000, Actor Jim Varney dies.
- In 2005, American Playwright Arthur Miller dies.
Look for more current news later and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 16 stories this week.