Here is Today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 1139, Emperor Konoe of Japan is born.
- In 1487, The Battle of Stoke Field, the final engagement of the War of the Roses, begins.
- In 1514, English Scholar John Cheke is born.
- In 1644, Princess Henrietta of England is born.
- In 1723, Scottish Philosopher and economist, Adam Smith, is born.
- In 1745, British troops take Cape Breton Island.
- In 1749, Italian Salt Trader Johann Baptista Ruffini dies.
- In 1774, Harrodsburg, Kentucky is founded.
- In 1795, The First Battle of Groix, also known as ‘Cornwallis’ Retreat’ begins.
- In 1813, German archaeologist, Otto Jahn is born.
- In 1829, Native American leader Geronimo is born.
- In 1836, The formation of the London Working Men’s Association occurs.
- In 1858, Abraham Lincoln delivers his House Divided speech.
- In 1883, The Victoria Hall Theatre panic occurs killing 183 children.
- In 1888, Russian physicist and mathematician Alexander Friedmann is born.
- In 1891, John Abbott becomes Canada’s third Prime Minister.
- In 1903, The Ford Motor Company is incorporated.
- In 1911, The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company, later known as IBM, is founded.
- In 1933, The National Industrial Recovery Act is passed.
- In 1970, English mathematician and geophysicist Sydney Chapman dies.
- In 1977, German-American rocket scientist Werner von Braun dies.
- In 1994, American singer-songwriter, and part of the “27 Club”, Kristen Pfaff dies.
- In 2010, Bhutan becomes the first country to institute a total ban on tobacco.
- In 2012, American financial journalist Dan Dorfman dies.
Look for current news later tonight and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 24 stories this week.