Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 1584, English politician and writer Thomas Norton dies.
- In 1629, Charles I dissolves Parliament.
- In 1745, American solider John Gunby is born.
- In 1810, Irish Poet Samuel Ferguson is born.
- In 1814, Napoleon I is defeated at the Battle of Laon.
- In 1864, American Frontier figure, Jack Slade, dies.
- In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call.
- In 1891, Almon Strowger patents the strowger switch.
- In 1906, The Courrieres Mine disaster kills 1099 miners in Northern France.
- In 1913, American abolitionist Harriet Tubman dies.
- In 1933, An earthquake that struck Long Beach, California kills 115.
- In 1959, 300,000 Tibetans surround the Dalai Lama’s Palace to protect him from removal.
- In 1977, Astronomers discover rings around the planet Uranus.
- In 2000, The NASDAQ hits its high, signaling the end of the Dot-com Boom.
- In 2006, The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter arrives at Mars.
- In 1917, American World War II Sergeant Frank Perconte is born.
- In 1948, American novelist Zelda Fitzgerald dies.
- In 1957, Leader of al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden was born.
- In 1983, American singer-songwriter Carrie Underwood was born.
- In 2010, Canadian Actor Corey Haim dies.
Look for more current news later and another Historical Daily Run Down next week.
There are 20 stories this week