Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 1146, Bernard of Clairvaux preaches the need for a second Crusade.
- In 1340, Ivan I of Russia dies.
- In 1499, Pope Pius IV is born.
- In 1732, Austrian Composer Joseph Haydn is born.
- In 1855, Alfred E. Hunt, American Entrepreneur, is born.
- In 1866, The Spanish Navy bombards Valparaiso, Chile.
- In 1889, The Eiffel Tower is officially opened.
- In 1899, Malolos, capital of the First Philippine Republic, is captured by American forces.
- In 1906, The Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (NCAA) is founded.
- In 1909, Construction of the RMS Titanic begins.
- In 1913, American Financier J.P. Morgan dies.
- In 1918, Daylight Saving Time goes into effect in the United States for the first time.
- In 1929, Fashion Designer Liz Claiborne is born.
- In 1951, Remington Rand delivers a UNIVAC I to the Census Bureau.
- In 1970, Explorer I re-enters the Earth’s Atmosphere.
- In 1980, American Athlete Jesse Owens dies.
- In 1986, Six Metropolitan county councils in England are abolished.
- In 1992, The USS Missouri is decomissioned.
- In 2012, Educator Dale R. Corson dies.
Look for more current news later and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 19 stories this week.