Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 17, Germanicus returns to Rome as a hero.
- In 604, Benedictine Monk, Augustine of Canterbury, dies.
- In 946, King Edmund I of England is killed by a their while celebrating St. Augustine’s Mass day.
- In 1293, An earthquake strikes Kamakuru, Kanagawa Japan, killing 30,000.
- In 1478, Pope Clement VII is born.
- In 1647, Alse Young is hanged and is the first person to be executed as a witch in the British American Colonies.
- In 1783, A Great Jubilee Day is held to celebrate the end of fighting in the American Revolution.
- In 1830, The Indian Removal Act is passed by the U.S. Congress.
- In 1883, Irish Astronomer Edward Sabine dies.
- In 1886, American comedian Al Jolson is born.
- In 1896, Nicholas II becomes Tsar of Russia.
- In 1896, Charles Dow publishes the first edition of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- In 1906, The Vauxhall Bridge is opened in London.
- In 1907, American actor John Wayne is born.
- In 1943, Charles Horace Mayo, co-founder of the Mayo Clinic, dies.
- In 1943, American businessman Edsel Ford dies.
- In 1962, American actor Bobcat Goldthwait was born.
- In 1972, The United States and the Soviet Union sign the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
- In 1998, The United States Supreme Court rules that Ellis Island is mainly in the state of New Jersey.
Look for more current news later and another historical Daily Run Down next week.
There are 19 stories this week.