There are some things that I would like to see changed with Apple’s platforms. These are mostly “paper cuts”, in that none of them show-stoppers in themselves but combined they make it a lot tougher to deal with the platforms. These are not my predictions for WWDC, those will be in a separate post.
- A way to save specific screensavers while still downloading new ones.
- Have the ability to have Siri limit to the media I already own.
- Have Siri have the ability to add more categories. For example “Show me movies that are action comedies.”
- Specifically for Catalyst, more refined controls for macOS Catalyst apps that match macOS even better.
- Fix Bluetooth, for keyboard, mice, and trackpads. I have issues with bluetooth disconnecting randomly and in the middle of using it.
- Within the Mail app, keep order of accounts. The order will randomly reset when showing the app window even if the mail app was not closed, but the window was.
- More default iCloud storage. 5GB really is paltry and just embarrassing at this point. I do not expect 100GB, but even 10GB or 25GB free would be better than the 5GB we get now.
- Improvements to Mail, like actually indicating messages have been read.
- Quick method to enable or disable “Block Unknown callers” from Control Center.
- Set default for Noise Cancelling headphones other than “Active Noise Cancelling”.
- I love that iOS 13.4 added keyboard and trackpad support for iOS, but system-wide support for navigating alerts with the keyboard would be very helpful.
- Fix Bluetooth. Bluetooth is a mess on iOS, particularly for audio. For instance, my Beats Solo Pros will have distortion when using any other app, but not all the time. It is consistent enough to notice that it is a problem. For instance, if I am typing in messages while listening to something, the audio will stutter and its not the key taps making noise. The same goes for many other apps.
- Within the Files app, provide option to always show file extensions. I say an option because some will not want it, but power users, like myself, can really need it.
- True multiple user support, not limited to schools or businesses.
- Have a calculator, specifically license PCalc, for use on the iPad.
- Have actually accurate synchronization and reports. Here is a great example. April 12th, I got the following reports: iPhone: 15 hours, 59 minutes, iPadOS stated, up 51% for an average of 16 hours and 15 minutes per day, and macOS stated “You averaged 13 hours, 33 minutes of screen time per day last week.” So obviously something is amiss between the synchronization of the devices and the reported screen time. Synchronization should be forced before sending the notification.
- Qi Charging on the Apple Watch. Right now the Apple Watch uses proprietary charging, but having standard charging would be nice.
- We need a website with the ability to see all transactions, make payments, etc.
- Additional user on the same card including adding children, and even possibly giving them a budget.
- Add the ability to not have urls automatically be created for links, preferably on a note-by-note basis.
- Copy a table as HTML, even without any formatting, with the header rows as thead rows.
- Have it remember your place when you switch between Pages and another app, when using it on iOS.
- Provide ability to edit styles when a file is in a shared folder on iCloud. Currently, you cannot edit any styles if the file is in a folder that is shared on iCloud. You can select them, but not edit
- Create an API, similar to the App Store Connect API, for users to be able to manage their iTunes Connect items in a similar manner as App Store Connect. This would be a tremendous improvement.
These are just some of the things that I have managed to come across that would be helpful for improving the functioning of Apple’s platforms. Some of these are easier to accomplish than others, and some are just bugs that should have already been fixed, but for some reason are still present within Apple’s software.