One of the features that Apple announced for iOS 11 is Person to Person Apple Pay. This is now available in iOS 11.2. Apple Pay Cash will allow you to both request and send money to others via an iMessage app. Whether you request or send money it will go onto an Apple Pay Cash card. With this card you can pay for items wherever Apple Pay is available. This could be within iTunes, in-app purchases, or any store that accepts Apple Pay.
One of the possible uses for Apple Pay Cash could be for parents to provide their children the ability to buy things within iTunes, without worry about having the items deducted from their credit card. Apple Pay Cash will also be a boon to allow you to send money to one of your friends, or family, for your portion of a meal or gift, or if you owe someone money and need to pay them. Setting up Apple Pay Cash is quite simple. There are only a few steps needed to setup Apple Pay Cash. Those steps are as follows:
- Open Wallet.
- Tap “Set Up Apple Pay Cash”.
- Tap “Continue”.
- Tap on “Agree” to Terms and Conditions (after reading it of course).
- Wait for Apple Pay to Setup. You will then be passed back to Apple Wallet.
- Wait for Card to be activated.
- Once activated you are done. You can begin requesting or sending money in Messages on iOS.
That is all you need to do to setup Apple Pay Cash. With Apple Pay Cash you can transfer the money you receive out to a bank account, if desired. Once you setup your banking information, you will need to verify your identify. You can also leave the money on your Apple Pay Cash card and use it as you would any other Apple Pay terminal.
One of the benefits of having an Apple Pay Cash card is being able to add money, when it is needed. This is easy to do from within the Wallet app. To add money to your Apple Pay Cash card, perform the following steps:
- Open the Apple Wallet App.
- Tap on The Apple Pay Cash card.
- Tap on the indicator button to bring up the information about your Apple Pay Cash card.
- Tap on the “Add Money” button.
- Tap on the “Add” button in the upper right corner.
- Select the card to deduct the money from.
- You will need to confirm with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode.
- Once you confirm the payment, your Apple Pay Cash card balance will be updated.
There is one thing to remember when adding money to your Apple Pay Cash card. That piece of information is that the card that you use to add money must either be a debit or prepaid card. You cannot use a credit card for transferring money.
Apple Pay Cash is, currently only available within the United States. It should roll out to other countries over time. However, if you are in the U.S. and you are running iOS 11.2, you should be able to use Apple Pay Cash.