Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 337, The Roman Empire is divided amongst the three Augusti .
- In 1000, During the Viking Age, the battle of Svolder occurs.
- In 1000, Olaf I of Norway dies.
- In 1513, James IV of Scotland is defeated at the Battle of Flodden Field.
- In 1513, James IV of Scotland dies from his wounds at the Battle of Flodden Field.
- In 1543, Mary Stuart is crowned Queen of Scots.
- In 1776, The Continental Congress officially names the union of sovereign states the United States.
- In 1791, Washington D.C. is named after George Washington.
- In 1828, Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy is born.
- In 1839, John Herschel takes the first glass plate Photograph.
- In 1850, California is admitted as the 31st State.
- In 1863, The Union Army enters Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- In 1890, Colonel Sanders, fast-food pioneer, is born.
- In 1915, American sporting goods manufacturer, Albert Spalding dies.
- In 1926, The U.S. National Broadcast Company is formed.
- In 1940, George Stibitz pioneers the first remote operation of a computer.
- In 1947, The first ever computer “bug” is discovered.
- In 1956, Elvis Presley appears on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time.
- In 1960, Actor Hugh Grant was born.
- In 1965, The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development is formed.
- In 1966, United States National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed.
- In 1966, Comedian and Actor Adam Sandler was born.
- In 1980, Actress Michelle Williams was born.
- In 1995, The Sony Playstation makes its debut.
- In 1999, The Dreamcast makes its debut.
- In 2006, American Publishing Executive, William B. Ziff, Jr. dies.
- In 2009, At exactly 09:09:09 PM, the Dubai Metro is inaugurated.
Look for more current news tomorrow and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 27 stories this week.