Here is today’s historical Daily Run Down.
- In 491, Empress Ariadne marries Anastasius I.
- In 526, An Earthquake kills approximately 300,000 people in Syria and Antiochia.
- In 1497, John Cabot sets sail from Bristol, England looking for a route West.
- In 1498, Vasco de Gama arrives in India.
- In 1506, Italian Explorer Christopher Columbus dies.
- In 1570, Cartographer Abraham Ortelius issues the first modern atlas.
- In 1609, Shakespeare’s Sonnets are published in London, illicitly.
- In 1768, Dolley Madison, first lady of the United States, is born.
- In 1775, The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is signed in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- In 1806, John Stuart Mill, English philosopher, is born.
- In 1851, Emile Berliner, German-born recording pioneer, is born.
- In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signs the Homestead Act into law.
- In 1873, Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive patents for blue jeans with copper rivets.
- In 1891, The first public display of Thomas Edison’s kinetoscope occurs.
- In 1908, American Actor James Stewart is born.
- In 1913, William Hewlett, American Engineer, is born.
- In 1916, The Saturday Evening Post publishes its first cover with a Norman Rockwell painting.
- In 1932, Amelia Earhart takes off from Newfoundland and lands in Ireland the next day.
- In 1940, The first prisoners arrive at the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- In 1949, The National Security Agency is formed.
- In 1949, Randolph West, American Bio-chemist, dies.
- In 1983, The first publications of the discovery of the link between HIV and AIDS occurs.
- In 2011, “Macho Man” Randy Savage dies.
Look for more current news tomorrow and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 23 stories this week.