Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 1346, The English Longbow reins supreme against the French in the Battle of Crécy.
- In 1349, Thomas Bradwardine, Archbishop of Canterbury dies.
- In 1466, A Conspiracy against Piero di Cosimo de’ Medici is discovered.
- In 1498, Michelangelo is commissioned to carve the Pietà.
- In 1694, American Rector of Yale College, Elisha Williams, is born.
- In 1768, Captain James Cook sets sail from England onboard the HMS Endeavour.
- In 1791, John Fitch is granted a patent for the Steamboat.
- In 1883, Krakatoa begins its final paroxysmal stage of eruption.
- In 1901, German Engineer and SS Officer Hans Kammler is born.
- IN 1920, the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution takes effect.
- In 1940, American Voice actor Don LaFontaine is born.
- In 1942, German Schutzpolizei begin driving Jews from their homes in Chortkiav, Ukraine.
- In 1952, American Crossword editor Wil Shortz was born.
- In 1963, American Author and Journalist Stephen Dubner was born.
- In 1974, American aviator Charles Lindbergh dies.
- In 1978, In a Papal Conclave, Pope John Paul I is elected to the Papacy.
- In 1980, American cartoonist Tex Avery dies.
- In 2009, Author Dominick Dunne dies.
Look for more current news tomorrow and another historical daily run down next week.
There are 18 stories today.