Here is today’s Historical Daily Run Down.
- In 461, Roman Emperor Majorian is beheaded.
- In 936, King Otto I of Germany is coronated.
- In 1106, Holy Roman Emperor, Henry IV, dies.
- In 1420, The construction of the Santa Maria del Fiore dome begins.
- In 1782, George Washington orders the creation of the Military Badge of Merit.
- In 1783, Princess Amelia of the United Kingdom is born.
- In 1789, The United States War Department is created.
- In 1794, George Washington invokes the Militia Law of 1792 to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion.
- In 1876, Mata Hari, a Dutch Spy, is born.
- In 1909. Alice Huyler Ramsey and three friends are the first women to go on a transcontinental automobile trip.
- In 1918, Gordon Zahn, American Sociologist, is born.
- In 1940, Alsace-Lorraine is annexed by the Third-Reich.
- In 1942, Author Garrison Keillor was born.
- In 1957, Comedian Oliver Hardy dies.
- In 1959, THe Lincoln Memorial design on the US Penny goes into circulation.
- In 1981, The Washington Star ceases publication.
- In 2005, News Anchor Peter Jennings dies.
Look for current stores tomorrow and another historical run down next week.